Beautify Your Bathroom
You deserve all the beauty, warmth and functionality that bathroom remodeling from Advance Remodeling has to offer. Whether your bathroom space is large or small, we have the experience to turn it into a space that you will love. From flooring and fixtures to lighting, cabinetry and countertops, we do it all! Contact us for your free, no obligation bathroom remodeling estimate.
Introducing Two New Products!
Types of Bathrooms
Since the bathrooms in your home will vary in size, purpose and users, it is important to know which type of bathroom you are creating when planning your project. Here are three basic types of bathrooms and some features for each:
- Allows for luxury and custom designs.
- Should have generous countertop space.
- Available room for a bigger tub and shower.
- Should be a calm and quiet retreat.
- Should fit the needs of all people who use the bathroom (parents, teens, toddlers, etc.)
- Materials should be durable and easy to maintain and clean.
- Needs adequate storage, try to be creative if you have limited space.
- Choose decorative accessories that are also functional.
- Create a welcoming atmosphere, while keeping it basic and practical.
- Choose easy maintenance materials.
- Skip adding luxurious items such as a huge bathtub, steam shower, etc.
- Have minimal storage, but enough room for the basics like towels, toilet paper, etc.
- Add little details to show your style such as decorative soap or fragrant candles.
Maximizing Your Bathroom Space
As bathrooms have always been one of the smallest rooms in a home, it is important to know how to maximize these spaces to fit your needs. Whether you are remodeling a master or guest bathroom, the key is to figure out how much storage space is required. Also, keep in mind there are some creative ways to make your bathroom appear larger and keep the space clutter-free. Here are some tips to follow:
- Paint walls with a light color to give the room an open feel. You can paint clouds on the ceiling for extra emphasis.
- If you decide to use wallpaper, choose small patterns instead of big designs that may overwhelm your bathroom.
- Play with light fixtures to maximize your bathroom’s space.
- Incorporate a skylight or bay window to make the room appear larger.
- Place bathroom mirrors opposite of each other if possible. This will give the illusion that the room is larger. A full-length mirror can also help achieve this look.
- Choose shiny, reflective surfaces for cabinets, countertops, vanities, etc.
- Maximize space by placing storage cabinets in unused vertical spaces. This will draw the eye upward.
- Don’t clutter the bathroom with too many accessories. This will make the room seem cramped and small.
- Consider using a hall closet if you need extra storage space for bathroom products.
- Be creative with your shelving to maximize storage space. For example, use a corner shelf to store smaller objects with easy access.
- Use open space on your bathroom walls to mount cabinetry.
- Place hooks on the back of the door for towels and robes.
- Get rid of empty shampoo or lotion bottles, and keep items that are seldom used in a cabinet or closet.
- Organize your drawers by categories such as makeup and hair products.
- Keep travel items stored away.
- If you no longer need an item, get rid of it!
Sinks and Faucets
- Decide if you want your sink to be part of the vanity or freestanding. Freestanding sinks do not have cabinets.
- You can choose from a range of colors, patterns, depths and designs.
- Will children or adults be using the sink? For children, you can add a footstool at the base of the sink.
- Choose a material that is resistant to water damage (see section on Bathroom Countertops)
- Some common sink materials include stone, marble and stainless steel.
- Choose faucets that match the decor of your bathroom.
- Your faucet materials should be resistant to water damage such as rust.
- Not all sinks can accommodate every type of faucet, so make sure to choose a sink and faucet that work together.
- You can choose a single piece faucet which connects the hot and cold water outlets.
- You can choose a split set faucet which has separate outlets for hot and cold water.
Showers and Bathtubs
There are many choices when it comes to bathtubs and showers today. You have options when it comes to size, shape, material, color, etc. You must also consider the budget and amount of space you are working with. Bathtubs take up more room than showers but offer a more relaxing experience. If you have the room, there are several types of baths on the market to fit your lifestyle. You can pick a bath for one person or multiple people. You can also add jets for a spa-like feel.
Maybe you aren’t a bath person and prefer a shower instead. Or maybe you have limited space in your bathroom and don’t have the space for a bathtub. Either way, showers come in many types and can be relaxing just like bathtubs. There are several types of showerheads to fit your preferences in water pressure. You can even find showers for your home bathroom that mimic steam rooms typically found in spas.
In choosing mirrors for your bathroom, try matching them to your vanity and lighting fixtures. For example, have the mirror frame material match the vanity. Here are some simple tips to consider when choosing mirrors for your bathroom:
- Your bathroom mirror should not be bigger than the vanity it hangs over.
- If there are multiple people sharing the bathroom, place the mirrors where each person will be standing.
- By hanging a light over your bathroom mirror, you will increase the amount of light in the bathroom.
- For an antique look, use a round mirror combined with an arch.
- Use multiple mirrors to make your bathroom appear larger.
- Make sure you have adequate lighting around your mirrors so that they are practical for your needs.
When choosing the type and location of lighting, think about the layout of your bathroom. There might be a certain place you want to accent or you may want extra brightness around mirrors.
You should also consider lighting that can be switched from dim to bright, so you can match your mood when getting ready for work or taking a relaxing bath. Although unique and extravagant lighting may be right for you, these lighting options tend to overpower smaller bathrooms.
Advance Remodeling has done hundreds of bathroom remodeling jobs in Maryland to make bathrooms more lively and functional. From flooring – including quarry tile, ceramic tile, and linoleum – to lighting, fixtures and cabinetry, Advance Remodeling can make your bathroom remodeling vision a reality.
Bathroom Flooring in Baltimore
Even if your bathroom flooring in Baltimore has held up well to traffic and age, it may simply be out of date. New bathroom flooring products that have been introduced in the past few years have made it possible for homeowners to have beautiful new bathroom flooring installed at a reasonable price.
Like kitchens, bathroom floors must hold up well to persistent moisture contact and be easy to clean, all while maintaining a stylish appearance. Therefore, many of the flooring materials that are recommended for kitchens are also the best option for bathrooms.
Advance Remodeling offers a wide variety of flooring materials suitable for bathrooms. We have experience installing many flooring materials including:
Laminate is a cost-effective choice for bathroom flooring that is both long-lasting and easy to maintain. It is made of several layers and can be installed over existing floors.
Laminate flooring has an impressive life span. In the lifespan of one laminate floor, carpet would need to be replaced 2 to 4 times, solid hardwoods would need 3 to 5 refinishing treatments, and vinyl flooring would need to be replaced 3 times. Most laminate flooring comes with a manufacturer’s warranty of 25 years or longer.
Laminate flooring is extremely durable, which makes it a great choice for high traffic areas. It will resist damage from spills and scrapes and it makes cleaning and maintenance very simple. Laminate flooring will not lose color over time, while flooring such as hardwood tends to fade. It is offered in many different styles and patterns, and can imitate other types of flooring such as wood, rock, gravel, and concrete.
Vinyl flooring is an affordable and aesthetically pleasing choice for bathroom flooring. Because of its durability and moisture resistance it is primarily used in busy areas of the home such as kitchens and bathrooms. Another reason for its popularity is that it can, much like laminate, be made to imitate other flooring materials such as stone, marble, and wood. Vinyl flooring is often referred to by the popular manufacturers’ trade names Linoleum® and Congoleum®.
Vinyl is made of plastic, or more specifically polyvinyl chloride – abbreviated PVC – to which other compounds are added. It can consist of either multiple layers of material or just one layer.
It is manufactured using one of two processes: inlay or rotovinyl. With inlay vinyl, color and pattern are imbedded into the vinyl layers, while with rotovinyl only a single layer of vinyl is printed with color and pattern. Both manufacturing processes require a protective coating overlay in order to boost durability.
Inlay vinyl flooring, which is only available in tile form, offers great wear resistance since the colors and patterns go all the way through the flooring material. Rotovinyl comes in both sheet and tile form. Resistance to wear is dependent on the type of protective coating used during the manufacturing process. Vinyl floors are very easy to maintain. Sweeping or using a dust mop is often all that is needed.
Ceramic tile flooring is a very popular type of bathroom flooring in the United States – it is one of the oldest and longest-lasting flooring materials known. Ceramic tile is especially well suited for areas with high traffic and moist conditions.
There are four basic decisions to make when choosing ceramic tile for your floor: size, shape, color, and finish. Ceramic tile ranges in size from 1/4” square to 12” x 12” squares and even larger. Shapes include square, rectangular, diamond, hexagon, octagon, triangular, round etc. – depending on your budget, you can get ceramic tile in any shape you can possibly imagine.
Color choices are endless, from black and white to everything in-between, and as far as finish is concerned most people opt for the glazed finish. Glazed tile is simply more water resistant and easier to clean than any other finish. It does tend to be more slippery when wet, but you can easily get tiles that are glazed with a non-slip material, which should take care of that problem.
Ceramic tiles are very strong, durable, cost-effective, and require little maintenance – making it an attractive alternative to many other flooring materials.
Stone tile flooring has a natural look and is strong and durable. It comes in several textures and colors and no two pieces are the same. Stone tiles can look traditional and rustic or contemporary and elegant. Although this flooring option can be expensive, stone tiles have the potential to last a lifetime.
Stone tile floors are generally easy to maintain, usually requiring only a mop for cleaning. For extra durability, stone should be periodically sealed. Since bathrooms must withstand moist conditions, you should choose stone tiles that are resistant to moisture damage and staining.
Although the preferred choice for some, marble flooring is not the optimal choice for bathroom flooring as it is porous and prone to damage from constant moisture exposure. If you want the regal look of marble for your bathroom, try laminate flooring which can be created to imitate the look of marble.
Although hardwood floors are known for their beauty and prestige, they are not the optimum choice for bathroom flooring due to the constant moisture exposure. The moist condition of bathrooms can cause hardwood flooring to expand and contract and possibly warp the floorboards.
If you do choose hardwood flooring for your bathroom, you want to make sure that it has already been finished. Pre-finished wood flooring is less prone to damage and easier to maintain than its unfinished counterpart. Also, to achieve the look of wood consider vinyl flooring in a wood grain design.
Advance Remodeling can provide financing for your bathroom remodeling regardless of your credit history. Get in touch with us to have the new bathroom you’ve been wanting!